I have mentioned previously that this blog are all about my passions in life. One of which that I am truly focused right now is BAKING and CAKE DECORATING. Honestly, I am quite a bit proud of what I am becoming lately. I received nice compliments from anyone about my creations. Those words have continuously inspired me to move forward and get myself better with my baking skills. Apart from that, I want also to share my learning and inspired others as well. I tell you, it is truly satisfying to bake and come up with your own cake. It can really get you addicted!
So this time, with my Baking101 Project, you will see the cakes I have personally created and designed. And to begin, here’s the NATILLA FILLED CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE FROSTING for you to learn.
This chocolate cake recipe has been passed on to me by my mother-in-law and it is her signature cake. I am glad that the first time I made this it came out almost a perfect cake with the right texture and taste. Then on, i keep making this cake for my clients who are really crazy and so in love with chocolate. By the way, I use Hershey chocolate powder known to be the best kind of chocolate in the market.
So here’s the cake recipe.. try and enjoy!
FOR THE CAKE:
4 Cup CAKE FLOUR / ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
3 tsp BAKING SODA
¾ Cup DARK COCOA
2 Cups BROWN SUGAR
1 ½ Cup BUTTER
¾ Cup MILK POWDER (FULL CREAM)
¾ Cup HOT WATER
½ tsp VANILLA
2 Tbsp LEMON JUICE / kalamansi juice
6 pieces EGG YOLK
1 ½ Cup EGG WHITES
¾ Cup WHITE SUGAR
1 tsp CREAM OF TARTAR
1 Cup EVAPORATED MILK
1 ½ Tbsp CORNSTARCH
½ tsp VANILLA
½ Cup CONDENSED MILK
1 Tbsp BUTTER
FOR THE FROSTING:
½ Cup COCOA POWDER
1 t COFFEE
2 Cups EVAPORATED MILK
1 Cup CONDENSED MILK
¼ Cup ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
2 tsp BAKING SODA
So here’s how to bake the cake.
- Dissolve cocoa in hot water. Set aside.
- Mix flour, Baking Soda, Brown sugar, milk powder and make a well at the center.
- Add butter, cocoa mixture, egg yolk, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Beat until well blended. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar gradually while continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Add the cream of tartar.
Cake and Meringue
- Fold in the cake batter mixture until well blended.
- Divide the batter into two portion.
- Bake 185 degrees Celcius for 20-30 minutes.
- Test the cake if done by inserting a toothpick thatcomes out clean.
- Allow to cool before removing from the pan.
- Combine all ingredients for natilla except butter in a double boiler.
- Cook the liquid until become sticky and thick.
- Remove from fire and stir in butter.
Filling the cake
- Filled the first cake with natilla.
- Place the second cake above.
- Set aside.
- Mix together all ingredients for frosting except butter.
- Cook in slow fire until thick of spreading consistency.
- Remove from fire and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Frost cake while the frosting is still hot.
Note: you have to be very quick in coating the cake with the choco frosting as will hardened in a bit. Use spatula to spread the frosting.
Another Recipe for CHOCOLATE frosting:
1 can alpine evap – big
1 cup white granulated sgar
½ cup dark cocoa
2 T butter
1 t vanilla
- Combine sugar and cocoa then add milk
- Cook in slow fine with constant stirring (to prevent from scorching) until thick that forms soft balls when drop in cold water.
- Remove from fire and stir in butter & vanillla.
- Frost in a cake while still hot
So there goes the recipe.. hope you will give yourself a try and learn to love baking. and i am pretty sure it will give you fun and happiness.