Making a basketball cake topper is very easy. You just need a little bit of imagination to make that fondant cake of your special someone look sporty and hunky.
These cake toppers are made of rolled-fondant and colored with bright orange and black. It is advisable to use edible black pen in marking the black stripes/lines on the ball. However, since I don’t have an edible pen, I use black fondant instead.
There are two types of basketball cake toppers that I have made for the cake ordered to me by Daisy last week. The first kind is a basketball that is cut in half while the other is a whole ball.
If you want to know how to make this edible athletic figure, then this tutorial is best for you. So what are you waiting for, come on, keep browsing the whole story below.
What you need:
- Orange Liquid Gel
- Black Liquid Gel
- 9” rolling pin
- Rolling Mat
- Confectioner Sugar and Cornstarch
- Modeling Tools
- Medium Size Circle Fondant/Cookie Cutter
- Styro Board
Now, let’s begin:
- Color a substantial portion of rolled fondant with orange liquid gel and black liquid gel.
- Dust your rolling mat with confectioner sugar or cornstarch
- Coat your hands with the shortening.
- Roll the orange fondant with the rolling pin to 1/8 mm width.
- Cut circles using the fondant cutter.
- Roll the cut circles into small balls using the palm of your hands.
- Slice the rolled orange ball into half using a knife tool.
- Place the halves of the balls on a styro board and set aside.
- Make an elongated rope of the black fondant.
- Attached the rope on the ball same with the design of a basketball.
- Cut the excess rope and close the gap with water.
- Insert toothpick on the basketballs before it will become very dry.
Once the toppers become dry you can stick them on the cake as you like. Just like this one:
Hope you learn something great from me. This is another “cake decorating idea” brought to you by HAPPY BAKER DELIGHTS.
Lots of LOVE,
Riah – the Lady behind HAPPY BAKER DELIGHTS 🙂