When my younger sister celebrated her 27th birthday last January, she requested for a cake that suited to her Hawaiian-themed party. She sent several cake photos that had Lilo, beach stuffs, and sands design. I told her that we can combine those cake ideas into one. For her cake, I made Lilo, from the famous Disney movie, as the main cake topper.
Now, I want to share to you how to make this adorable edible creature for your next cake order.
You will need:
– 50% gumpaste and 50% fondant – mix together
– gum paste modeling tool
– edible glue
– liquid gel (pink, flesh, green, black)
– barbecue stick
– edible pen (black and red)
1. Divide the fondant-gumpaste mixture into the body part and color them using the liquid gel: flesh – body; black – hair, pink – upper tube; green – grassskirt;
2. Start making the arms using the flesh fondant-gumpaste.
3. Make the legs. Remember Lilo is a chubby little girl so make her leg a bit voluptuous. Insert a toothpick to the legs.
But sad to say, in this cake topper I made her cake huge for her body that my sister thought it suffered from elephantiasis disease. LOL. :-D.. But anyway, I did a trick to hide those fatty legs using her grass skirt.
4. Insert a bbq stick to the body and attached the legs using an edible glue. Let it harden for few hours.
5. Mold a ball and sculpt the eye contour. Put the eyes and mark the lips.
6. Once the body is harden, let it stand on a styro. Slowly attached the pink tube and grass skirt made of fondant.
7. Flatten a black fondant. Put an edible glue on it and attached it to the hair. Add the grass hair accent.
8. Attached the arms. I used a toothpick to support the hand and arms lifted upwards.
8. Then, after 24 hours, removed everything. Now the topper is ready to be placed on top of the cake.
Let’s the a closer look at Lilo.
Hope you learn something from this post. I will post later the entire cake. Visit my blog again soon for more tutorials.
Lots of Love,
Riah – the lady behind HAPPY BAKER DELIGHTS 🙂