A Teddy Bear is a very cute object for a cake topper. Some cake designers use gumpaste or fondant in making the bear. But for me, I use Marzipan for a difference. You can still opt for fondant / gumpaste as you like.
I created not only one but two bears, a bear couple actually, when I made an anniversary cake for my friend Aldieh and his wife Cecille. The teddy bear tutorial is one of the things I have learned in a demonstration during the Cake Talks 2014. The cake designer didn’t use any modeling tools and she just molded the bear with her bare hands! She’s very talented, indeed.
So now, I will share to you the steps on how to make a fondant / gumpaste / marzipan Teddy Bear. After this, you will be confident to decorate your cake for a special occasion like Christening or Baby Shower.
Here are the things you need:
- Marzipan colors (red, blue, black,
- White Fondant
- Toothpick / Spaghetti Noodle Strand #5
- Modeling Tools
- Small Brush
- 9” rolling pin
Are you ready? Let’s begin.
- Take a small portion of your marzipan and color it blue, black, and red.
- Take a piece of the uncolored marzipan, roll it into a smooth ball and shaped it into a cone. It will be the body of the bear.
- Push down into the body a toothpick or a spaghetti strand # 5 to hold the bear’s body.
- Roll another piece of marzipan and make a log. Cut it into two for the legs. Shape the other side thicker the other to form the feet, Make two cuts on top as the toes.
- Attached the 2 legs to the body using a brush dip with a little bit of water.
- Roll out a small ball of white fondant with a rolling pin to form the belly.
- Glue it to the body with a bit of water. Using a pointed tool, pinch a hole at the lower middle to create the belly button.
- With the marzipan make the arms in the same way as the legs but it should be a bit longer.
- Then, glue the arms on the sides of the body.
- Make a round ball for the head. Flatten a small ball of white fondant for the snout and glue it on the face.
- With a pointed tool create the eye holes.
- With a sharp knife carve the line in the middle of his nose and the curve of his mouth.
- Roll tiny balls of black fondant and put them in the holes as eyes.
- Make the nose with a small ball of black fondant.
- Make 2 small equal size balls for the ears and press gently with a small ball tool.
- Glue the ears on top of the head.
- If you want to put a skirt, put it just after step 4, no need to put the belly as it will be covered anyway.
- Attached the head to the bear’s body and poke it on a toothpick.
- Use the serrated quilting/cutting wheel tool to create fine line on the bear’s face, back, arms, and legs.
- Set the Bears aside to dry.
You can now also cut out the names of the celebrants.
This is my anniversary cake ready. An moist chocolate cake filled with choco ganache. Topped with chocolate buttercream.
And look at my cute fondant teddy bears!
Hope you enjoy this tutorial. Until next post!
Lots of LOVE,
Riah – the Happy Baker 🙂